SciPost Submission Page
If the Weak Were Strong and the Strong Were Weak
by Nakarin Lohitsiri, David Tong
This is not the current version.
|As Contributors:||David Tong|
|Arxiv Link:||https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.08221v1 (pdf)|
|Submitted by:||Tong, David|
|Submitted to:||SciPost Physics|
|Subject area:||Quantum Physics|
We explore the phase structure of the Standard Model as the relative strengths of the SU(2) weak force and SU(3) strong force are varied. With a single generation of fermions, the structure of chiral symmetry breaking suggests that there is no phase transition as we interpolate between the SU(3)-confining phase and the SU(2)-confining phase. Remarkably, the massless left-handed neutrino, familiar in our world, morphs smoothly into a massless right-handed down-quark. With multiple generations, a similar metamorphosis occurs, but now proceeding via a phase transition. In the second half of the paper we introduce a two-parameter extension of the Standard Model, a chiral gauge theory with gauge group U(1) x Sp(r) x SU(N). We again explore the phase structure of the theory as the relative strengths of the Sp(r) and SU(N) gauge couplings vary.
Ontology / TopicsSee full Ontology or Topics database.
Submission & Refereeing History
Reports on this Submission
Anonymous Report 2 on 2019-9-19 Invited Report
- Cite as: Anonymous, Report on arXiv:1907.08221v1, delivered 2019-09-19, doi: 10.21468/SciPost.Report.1190
1. Clear and well written
2. answers an interesting question with interesting results
The authors study what happens when the weak interactions of the standard model (and a variety of closely related models) become stronger than the strong interactions. The find that the low energy physics is smooth for one generation but has either a discontinuity or intermediate phase for more than one generation. This is a delightful paper and should certainly be published.
1. it would be nice for younger readers if the authors could provide references for `t Hooft anomaly matching and the SU(2) anomaly discussed at the bottom of page four
2. "describes" near the bottom of page three has an extra "s"
3. page nine: "this is condensate in breaks" should be "this condensate breaks"
4. bottom of page thirteen: "The are" should be "They are"