SciPost Submission Page
Unconventional Superconductivity arising from Multipolar Kondo Interactions
by Adarsh S. Patri, Yong Baek Kim
|As Contributors:||Adarsh Patri|
|Date submitted:||2021-07-16 21:07|
|Submitted by:||Patri, Adarsh|
|Submitted to:||SciPost Physics|
The nature of unconventional superconductivity is intimately linked to the microscopic nature of the pairing interactions. In this work, motivated by cubic heavy fermion compounds with embedded multipolar moments, we theoretically investigate superconducting instabilities instigated by multipolar Kondo interactions. Employing multipolar fluctuations (mediated by RKKY interaction) coupled to conduction electrons via two-channel Kondo and novel multipolar Kondo interactions, we uncover a variety of superconducting states characterized by higher-angular momentum Cooper pairs, J=0,1,2,3. We demonstrate that both odd and even parity pairing functions are possible, regardless of the total angular momentum of the Cooper pairs, which can be traced back to the atypical nature of the multipolar Kondo interaction that intertwines conduction electron spin and orbital degrees of freedom. We determine that different (point-group) irrep classified pairing functions may coexist with each other, with some of them characterized by gapped and point node structures in their corresponding quasiparticle spectra. This work lays the foundation for discovery and classification of superconducting states in rare-earth metallic compounds with multipolar local moments.
Author comments upon resubmission
Thank you for the insightful questions regarding our manuscript.
We have answered all the questions and implemented the changes recommended by referees in our revised manuscript.
We have attached a detailed reply to the report (PDF format) under the author reply to the referee for convenience.
List of changes
The specific additions to the manuscript are (also detailed in the PDF of the author reply to the referee):
- Described the physical reasoning behind the choices of the phenomenological parameters (in Appendix H).
- Included a revised caption and labelled subfigures in Fig. 4 for clarity.
- Described the time-reversal properties of the realized superconducting states from both two-channel and novel Kondo interactions.
- Provided the momentum-space distribution of the various order parameters (to make connections with conventional discussions of superconductivity) in a newly constructed Appendix I.
- Corrected stylistic errors in the References.
- Clarified and confirmed the anti-symmetrization of the Cooper pair operators.
The additions are indicated in blue font in the revised manuscript for convenience.
Submission & Refereeing History
You are currently on this page
Reports on this Submission
Anonymous Report 1 on 2021-7-22 (Invited Report)
The authors answer all the comments properly and the revised manuscript is easier to follow. Thus, I believe the paper is now suitable for publication.