SciPost Submission Page
Berezinskii-Kosterlitz-Thouless transition transport in spin-triplet superconductor
by Suk Bum Chung, Se Kwon Kim
|As Contributors:||Suk Bum Chung|
|Date submitted:||2021-09-13 19:44|
|Submitted by:||Chung, Suk Bum|
|Submitted to:||SciPost Physics|
As the spin-triplet superconductivity arises from the condensation of spinful Cooper pairs, its full characterization requires not only charge ordering, but also spin ordering. For a two-dimensional (2D) easy-plane spin-triplet superconductor, this naively seems to suggest the possibility of two distinct Berezinskii-Kosterlitz-Thouless (BKT) phase transitions, one in the charge sector and the other in the spin sector. However, it has been recognized that there are actually three possible BKT transitions, involving the deconfinement of, respectively, the conventional vortices, the merons and the half-quantum vortices with vorticity in both the charge and the spin current. By considering equal-spin-pairing spin-triplet superconductors with bulk spin degeneracy, we show how all the transitions can be characterized by the relation between the voltage drop and the spin-polarized current bias. This study reveals that, due to the hitherto unexamined transport of half-quantum vortices, there is an upper bound on the spin supercurrent in a quasi-long range ordered spin-triplet superconductor, which provides a means for half-quantum vortex detection via transport measurements and deeper understanding of fluctuation effects in superconductor-based spintronic devices.
Author comments upon resubmission
We appreciate comments and valuable queries from both Referees, which have helped us improve the clarity and quality of our manuscript. Our response to their reports have given detailed point-by-point responses to all the questions and suggestions. The corresponding modifications are incorporated in the revised manuscript (highlighted in red), which we are listing below.
We believe that our manuscript has been improved sufficiently for publication in SciPost Physics.
With best regards,
Suk Bum Chung and Se Kwon Kim
List of changes
Summary of changes:
• Revision of the introduction to elaborate the motivation behind our work and to specify the types of superconductors considered in our work.
• Revision of Sec. 2 General considerations to discuss the property of half-quantum vortices and to elaborate how three types of the BKT transitions temperatures are derived.
• Revision of the sentences of Eqs. (2), (3), (4), (7), (8), (9) and addition of an extra step each for Eqs. (6) and (8) for better guidance to the equation derivation, as suggested by Referee 1
• Addition of Fig. 4, schematic plots of our main results as suggested by Referee 1
• Addition of Appendix A to discuss the derivation of Eq. (5) as suggested by Referee 1
Submission & Refereeing History
You are currently on this page