We employ the Gross-Pitaevskii equation to study acoustic emission generated in a uniform Bose gas by a static impurity. The impurity excites a sound-wave packet, which propagates through the gas. We calculate the shape of this wave packet in the limit of long wave lengths, and argue that it is possible to extract properties of the impurity by observing this shape. We illustrate here this possibility for a Bose gas with a trapped impurity atom -- an example of a relevant experimental setup. Presented results are general for all one-dimensional systems described by the nonlinear Schr\"odinger equation and can also be used in nonatomic systems, e.g., to analyze light propagation in nonlinear optical media. Finally, we calculate the shape of the sound-wave packet for a three-dimensional Bose gas assuming a spherically symmetric perturbation.
Cited by 1
Sidse Damgaard Hansen et al., Scattering of Matter Wave Solitons on Localized Potentials
Applied Sciences 11, 2294 (2021) [Crossref]
Authors / Affiliations: mappings to Contributors and OrganizationsSee all Organizations.
- 1 Technische Universität Darmstadt / Technical University of Darmstadt [TU Darmstadt]
- 2 جامعة تل أبيب / Tel Aviv University [TAU]
- 3 Institute of Science and Technology Austria [IST]
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft / German Research FoundationDeutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft [DFG]
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt / German Aerospace Center [DLR]
- Horizon 2020 (through Organization: European Commission [EC])
- Israel Science Foundation [ISF]
- National Science Foundation [NSF]
- United States - Israel Binational Science Foundation (through Organization: United States-Israel Binational Science Foundation [BSF])