SciPost Submission Page
Ultra-high energy neutrino searches with the Pierre Auger Observatory
by M. Trini, for the Pierre Auger Collaboration
This is not the latest submitted version.
This Submission thread is now published as
|Authors (as registered SciPost users):
|SciPost Physics Proceedings
|The 15th International Workshop on Tau Lepton Physics (TAU2018)
In the EeV range, neutrinos are expected to be produced by ultra-high energy cosmic rays interactions with the Cosmic Microwave Background during propagation in the Universe. We report on the search for ultra-high energy neutrinos in data collected with the Surface Detector of the Pierre Auger Observatory. The searches are most efficient in the zenith angle range from 60 degrees to 95 degrees with tau neutrinos skimming in the Earth playing a dominant role. The present non-detection of UHE neutrinos in the Pierre Auger Observatory excludes the most optimistic scenarios of neutrino production in terms of UHE cosmic rays chemical composition and cosmological evolution of the acceleration sites. We also report on the searches for neutrinos in coincidence with the recent Gravitational Wave events detected by LIGO/Virgo.
Submission & Refereeing History
You are currently on this page
Reports on this Submission
Report 1 by Nicolo De Groot on 2018-11-15 (Invited Report)
- Cite as: Nicolo De Groot, Report on arXiv:scipost_201810_00005v1, delivered 2018-11-15, doi: 10.21468/SciPost.Report.655
1. Very readable article
2. Covering an interesting, timely topic
no significant weaknesses
This is a nice conference paper about the neutrino results from Auger. I recommend publishing it.
1. p1, Introduction: The interactions with CMB start at 5x10^19 eV, so why UHECRs of 10^17 eV imply the production of UHE neutrinos ? Please clarify
2. p2: Explain why does the EM component of neutrino showers lead to such a large signal spread
3. p2: please refer to http://auger.org/education/Auger_Education/celestialcoordinates.html for the benefit of non-experts on Auger coordinates
4. Any comments on the Anita HE upwards neutrino events ?