SciPost Submission Page
Non-equilibrium quasiparticles in superconducting circuits: photons vs. phonons
by G. Catelani, D. M. Basko
- Published as SciPost Phys. 6, 013 (2019)
|As Contributors:||Denis Basko · Gianluigi Catelani|
|Date submitted:||2018-12-18 01:00|
|Submitted by:||Basko, Denis|
|Submitted to:||SciPost Physics|
|Subject area:||Condensed Matter Physics - Theory|
We study the effect of non-equilibrium quasiparticles on the operation of a superconducting device (a qubit or a resonator), including heating of the quasiparticles by the device operation. Focusing on the competition between heating via low-frequency photon absorption and cooling via photon and phonon emission, we obtain a remarkably simple non-thermal stationary solution of the kinetic equation for the quasiparticle distribution function. We estimate the influence of quasiparticles on relaxation and excitation rates for transmon qubits, and relate our findings to recent experiments.
Ontology / TopicsSee full Ontology or Topics database.
Published as SciPost Phys. 6, 013 (2019)
Author comments upon resubmission
we submit a revised version of our manuscript. We have taken into account all the Referee's comments, so we are hopeful that the paper can be accepted for publication in its present form.
List of changes
We thank the referee for the comments. We agree with them, here are the details of the modifications.
- We added a figure in the third section, where we show schematically the distribution function in the two regimes.
- In Sec. 3.2, we moved the summary of its results to the end of the section.
- We gave a label to the last equation of Sec. 2 and expanded the discussion in the beginning of Sec. 3.1, to address the last remark of the referee.
- We added the text to the footnote, to clarify how the equation is obtained.
Submission & Refereeing History
You are currently on this page
Reports on this Submission
Anonymous Report 1 on 2019-1-7 Invited Report
The authors adequately responded to the comments in my first report. I now fully recommend the publication of their manuscript in SciPost.