Among the different platforms to engineer Majorana fermions in one-dimensional topological superconductors, topological insulator nanowires remain a promising option. Threading an odd number of flux quanta through these wires induces an odd number of surface channels, which can then be gapped with proximity induced pairing. Because of the flux and depending on energetics, the phase of this surface pairing may or may not wind around the wire in the form of a vortex. Here we show that for wires with discrete rotational symmetry, this vortex is necessary to produce a fully gapped topological superconductor with localized Majorana end states. Without a vortex the proximitized wire remains gapless, and it is only if the symmetry is broken by disorder that a gap develops, which is much smaller than the one obtained with a vortex. These results are explained with the help of a continuum model and validated numerically with a tight binding model, and highlight the benefit of a vortex for reliable use of Majorana fermions in this platform.
Cited by 5
Peñaranda et al., Even-odd effect and Majorana states in full-shell nanowires
Phys. Rev. Research 2, 023171 (2020) [Crossref]
Fuchs et al., Crossed Andreev reflection in topological insulator nanowire T junctions
Phys. Rev. B 104, 085415 (2021) [Crossref]
Legg et al., Majorana bound states in topological insulators without a vortex
Phys. Rev. B 104, 165405 (2021) [Crossref]
Osca et al., Fabry–Pérot interferometry with gate-tunable 3D topological insulator nanowires
Nanotechnology 32, 435002 (2021) [Crossref]
Jana et al., Jackiw-Rebbi zero modes in non-uniform topological insulator nanowire
Phys. Rev. B 100, 085428 (2019) [Crossref]
Ontology / TopicsSee full Ontology or Topics database.
Authors / Affiliations: mappings to Contributors and OrganizationsSee all Organizations.
- 1 Donostia International Physics Center [DIPC]
- 2 Rudolf Peierls Centre for Theoretical Physics, University of Oxford
- 3 Basque Foundation for Science / Ikerbasque
- 4 Kungliga Tekniska högskolan / Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) [KTH]
- 5 אוניברסיטת תל אביב / Tel Aviv University [TAU]
- European Commission [EC]
- European Research Council [ERC]
- Knut och Alice Wallenbergs Stiftelse (Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation) (through Organization: Knut och Alice Wallenbergs Stiftelse / Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation)
- National Science Foundation [NSF]