We present a novel approach to construct a color tagger, i.e. an observable that is able to discriminate the decay of a color-singlet into two jets from a two-jet background in a different color configuration. We do this by explicitly taking the ratio of the corresponding leading-order matrix elements in the soft limit, thus obtaining an observable that is provably optimal within our approximation. We call this observable the "jet color ring" and we compare its performance to other color-sensitive observables such as jet pull and dipolarity. We also assess the performance of the jet color ring in simulations by applying it to the case of the hadronic decays of a boosted Higgs boson and of an electroweak boson.
Ontology / TopicsSee full Ontology or Topics database.
Authors / Affiliations: mappings to Contributors and OrganizationsSee all Organizations.
- 1 University of Glasgow
- 2 Reed College
- 3 Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare / National Institute for Nuclear Physics [INFN]
- 4 Università degli Studi di Genova / University of Genoa [UniGe]
- Horizon 2020 (through Organization: European Commission [EC])
- Ministero dell’Istruzione, dell’Università e della Ricerca (MIUR) (through Organization: Ministero dell'Istruzione, dell'Università e della Ricerca / Ministry of Education, Universities and Research [MIUR])
- Royal Society
- Science and Technology Facilities Council [STFC]
- Universita degli Studi di Genova (UniGe) (through Organization: Università degli Studi di Genova / University of Genoa [UniGe])