We propose a new type of search for a pseudoscalar particle $\eta$ pair produced via an off-shell Higgs, $pp\to h^*\to \eta\eta$. The search is motivated by a composite Higgs model in which the $\eta$ is extremely narrow and decays almost exclusively into $Z\gamma$ in the mass range $65$ GeV$\lesssim m_\eta \lesssim 160$ GeV. We devise an analysis strategy to observe the novel $Z\gamma Z\gamma$ channel and estimate potential bounds on the Higgs-$\eta$ coupling. The experimental sensitivity to the signatures depends on the power to identify fake photons and on the ability to predict large photon multiplicities. This search allows us to exclude large values of the compositeness scale $f$, being thus complementary to other typical processes.
Cited by 1
Ferretti, Underlying gauge-fermion models of compositeness
Eur. Phys. J. Spec. Top., (2021) [Crossref]
Authors / Affiliations: mappings to Contributors and OrganizationsSee all Organizations.
- 1 Chalmers Tekniska Högskola / Chalmers University of Technology
- 2 University of Kansas [KU]
- 3 中国科学院 / Chinese Academy of Sciences [CAS]
- 4 中国科学院理论物理研究所 / Institute of Theoretical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences [ITP]
- 5 北京大学 / Peking University [PKU]
- 6 中国科学院大学 / University of Chinese Academy of Sciences [UCAS]